Thursday, January 1, 2015

Everything I Love

"Everything I Love" by Alan Jackson gets to be my song of the post. Today is the first of 2015 and what have I done today? Been nostalgic as Hell about everything under the sun.

Neflix putting Friends on streaming got me watching one of my favorite shows of the 90's. I have watched several episodes today and some Melrose Place. It was a good day for drowning in the past. It has rained all day so I didn't have anything better to do. Watching Friends reminded me of how much I love Matthew Perry. No matter how many failed sitcoms he tries, I watch them and enjoy seeing him. I probably relate the most to Monica but I think Rachel is my favorite of the Friends girls. Sidnie told me that she likes Phoebe and Ross the best. And I obviously had a big thing for Chandler.

But I digress but nostalgia is the main theme of this post. I am 28 and I dare say that I have been nostalgic all my life. I even feel nostalgic for the 80's even though I was a small kid. Thankfully I do vividly remember things from when I was three and some of the iconic 80's things stuck into my mind. I have consistently enjoyed 80's pop and rock music all my life and the movies as well. I often wonder how it would've been to be a teen of the 80's.

As I type this I am listening to my collection of 90's country. Growing up home schooled and an only child, I had a lot of radio listening time. I was telling Justin this the other night about lying in the dark and listening to the radio and soaking it all in. I truly miss the country songs of the 90's. It is weird to prefer 80's rock and 90's country. It isn't that I didn't listen to pop of the 90's and 2000's but it didn't stick in my soul like the 90'a country. Plus, it was in the late 90's when my parents took me to Nashville the first time and that really did change my life. Nashville has become a mirage and a distraction in my life and continues to be a goal for me. The years listening to those songs on my RCA radio and taping the songs I loved most. I remember "Goodnight Sweetheart" by David Kersh. It was one of my favorites and "If I Were You" by Terri Clark. For a time stations played 90's radio shows but in my area they stopped and I miss it. However, they rarely played the obscure songs. I have a song that I may request when I call Justin's show. I haven't heard it in gosh 10 years so I want to see if he can find it to play.

Nostalgia goes beyond music as I try to push thoughts out of my mind today of two people who I have had to let go this year. One's birthday is today and the other's tomorrow. I was talking to Charlene earlier about it. I'm not falling into that memory trap because it only causes those two to win another battle. Gosh I think back on 2014 and it was really a lousy year. If this one is even a tad bit better, I'll be ahead. Nostalgia will continue regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment